Bryggen was the wharf of the part of town taken over by German merchants after the Hanseatic League set up a branch office here around 1360 and became a very dominant political force here for 400 years. The harmonious ancient quarter of Bryggen illustrates the use of space in a district of Hanseatic merchants. The oldest section in view here was rebuilt after the devastating fire of 1702. The fire of 1955 destroyed about a third of the buildings (not in view here). Today, a total of 62 buildings remain of this former trade center--11 or them with water frontage (in view here). Today, Bryggen is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.