San Juan: Galería Nacional
The Antiguo Convento de los Dominicos (former Dominican convent) founded by Dominican priests in 1523. It first served as Dominican monastery and as a shelter from attacks on the city by the Caribe tribes. El Convento later functioned as barracks for the Spanish troops until the United States Army made it their Caribbean Headquarters. Today, the building houses the Galería Nacional (National Gallery) which features the largest collection of Puerto Rican paintings from the eighteenth century to the 1960s. The museum is administered by the Instituto de Cultura Puertorriqueña (Institute of Puerto Rican Culture).