new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Chippenham Park – 14-10-12 | by Dave Catchpole
Back to photostream

Chippenham Park – 14-10-12

Chippenham Park, Chippenham, Ely, Cambridgeshire CB7 5PT

A large country house with substantial gardens, lakes, woodland walks and parkland dating back to the 17th century.

 

The Gardens

Chippenham Park was created at the very end of the 17th century as an 'Anglo-Dutch' designed landscape comprising canals, park, and formal gardens.

It was subsequently informalised by 18th and 19th century designers including William Eames and Samuel Lappidge.

Chippenham Park contains a wealth of earthworks and waterways which relate to the parkland and garden landscapes and to the village settlement which pre-dated the park.

Features that have remained surprisingly static through history include the walled kitchen garden, the formal waterway on the east side of the park; and complex waterways south of the kitchen garden. Some of the trees, including those marking the original drive from the west.

 

The Gardens Now

When Anne Crawely moved to the Chippenham Park estate in 1985 she immediately set about restoring and expanding what had once been a great garden.

 

Chippenham Park House

Although records show that there has been a house on the present site for nearly 1000 years the property and park in any recognisable form date from the early 18th century. Lord Admiral Russel had sought permission from King William II to create the Park in in 1702. When he died in 1727 the estate passed through various hands before being bought by John Tharp in 1791, the first direct ancestor of the present owners. In his lifetime the lake was created, over 2 million trees were planted and the estate grew to 7000 acres.

In the late 18th century the house was substantially extended to accommodate many guests, this was a time of great country house parties which frequently included the Prince of Wales who enjoyed the shooting and the racing at Newmarket.

The estate later passed down the female side of the family to Basil Bacon in 1949 and in 1985 to the present owners.

6,266 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on October 14, 2012