Sunrise at Mission Nuestra Señora de la Purisima Concepción de Acuña
This mission, located in what is now San Antonio Texas, was named in honor of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception and Juan de Acuña, the Marqués de Casafuerte. The Marqués was Viceroy of New Spain (Mexico) when the mission transferred to the San Antonio River area in 1731. Today the mission is part of San Antonio Missions National Historical Park in Texas.
Originally founded in 1716 in what later became eastern Texas, the mission was one of six authorized by the Spanish Colonial Government in Mexico to serve as a buffer against the threat of French incursion into Spanish territory from Louisiana. Developed by Franciscans and after a tenuous existence and several moves, the mission was transferred to its present site in 1731.
This handsome stone church took about 15 years to build, and was dedicated in 1755. It appears very much as it did over two centuries ago. Due to the fact that it was built directly on bedrock, it never lost its roof, or its integrity. It remains the least restored of the colonial structures within the Park. In its heyday, colorful geometric designs covered its surface inside and out. The exterior patterns have long since faded or been worn away. However, there are several rooms in which to see remaining frescos with all their detail and creativity.
Information from the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, NPS website accessed 4/20/2017.