The Path to Incorporation
In the late 1950's, Albert Kaufman, President of Surety Builders began developing a subdivision south of 75th Street and east of Illinois Route 53.
Residents in the surrounding area expressed their fears about the development in the Downers grove Reporter, August 7, 1958,
"Fearing that Goodrich school facilities will be overloaded if a proposed 500 acre subdivision goes through, residents of School District 68 have called a meeting to discuss means of keeping the development out."
In spite of protests, the development proceeded with Kaufman advertising the homes in Chicago newspapers. The lots were sold in mid 1958. Homes were begun in fall of 1958 and completed in early 1959.
The new residents - 459 population; less than 100 eligible to vote - wanted to incorporate.