Klick here for a large view!
Monument Valley is located on the southern border of Utah with northern Arizona. The valley lies within the range of the Navajo Nation Reservation, and is accessible from U.S. Highway 163. The Navajo name for the valley is Tsé Bii' Ndzisgaii (Valley of the Rocks).
The area is part of the Colorado Plateau. The floor is largely Cutler Red siltstone or its sand deposited by the meandering rivers that carved the valley. The valley's vivid red color comes from iron oxide exposed in the weathered siltstone. The darker, blue-gray rocks in the valley get their color from manganese oxide.
The buttes are clearly stratified, with three principal layers. The lowest layer is Organ Rock shale, the middle de Chelly sandstone and the top layer is Moenkopi shale capped by Shinarump siltstone. The valley includes large stone structures including the famed Eye of the Sun.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This photo is in 46 groups
- !Photo-Hobby! Level 3 (P1-A3) Closed 9,369 items
- Art of Images ~ AOI L1~ ( Post 1, Award 3) 872,660 items
- !Photo-Hobby! Level 2 (P1-A4) Closed!! 17,378 items
- !Photo-Hobby! Level 1(Post 1 Award 4) Closed! 57,956 items
- *The Three Angels* LEVEL 3: Golden Angel (P1-A3) Closed! 10,021 items
- **Cool Shot** - P1/A4 - NO PEOPLE - 94,255 items
This photo is in 1 album
- USA Trip 2006 540 items