new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Hall of Crosses | by wittywd40
Back to group

Hall of Crosses

In the Hall of Crosses, display cases set in walls contain personal objects stolen from Triestine Jews by Nazi troops who were intending to flee with them to Carinzia in 1945. These objects were found by the Allies stashed in burlap bags and were sent to Rome, where for decades may lay forgotten in the underground vaults of the Treasury Ministry. In 2000, they were finally restored to the Jewish Community of Trieste, which decided to display a portion of them in the Carlo and Vera Wagner Museum, and donate another small but significant selection to the Civic Museum of the San Sabba Risiera and to the "Yad Vashem" Museum in Jerusalem.

557 views
1 fave
1 comment
Taken on November 12, 2011