new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
St Mark's, Clerkenwell | by wirewiper
Back to photostream

St Mark's, Clerkenwell

The West Front and main entrance, seen from Inglebert Street. Much of the church was brick-built for reasons of economy, but the facade and tower were made of Bath Stone to create a dramatic effect when entering Myddelton Square from Amwell Street.

*********************************

St Mark's Church in Myddelton Square, Clerkenwell, was consecrated in 1828. The church was paid for by the New River Company, who developed the fine terraces of Georgian Housing which surround it, and was the only church designed by their surveyor William Chadwell Mylne. For reasons of economy it is largely brick-built, but the Western end was given a classical facade of Bath Stone.

 

The church was damaged during the Second World War and was out of use until 1962. The original galleries were removed, a new stained glass window put in at the east end, and a temporary roof, lighting and heating were installed - which are still in use today!

413 views
2 faves
0 comments
Taken on January 20, 2016