Gloster Javelin FAW.9
The Gloster Javelin was the world’s first twin-engined delta-wing fighter. Designed as a two-seat all-weather interceptor, the first prototype flew on 26 November 1951. Derived from the F(AW).7, which had modified flying controls and an extended rear fuselage, the F(AW).9 was powered by two Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire Sa.7R turbojets. It had a maximum speed of 702 mph and a service ceiling of 52000 feet. Armament was four Firestreak air-to-air missiles and two 30 mm Aden guns.
XH767 was built at Hucclecote and went to Aldergrove in October 1959. It joined 25 Squadron at Waterbeach in December that year. From 1962 until 1965, the aircraft served with 11 Squadron in Germany. Following service with the Conversion Unit at Leuchars, XH767 was retired in 1967.
The Javelin arrived at Elvington in February 2001.
Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington