THE FREEDOM TOWER, MIAMI
Originally completed in 1925 as the headquarters and printing facility of the newspaper The Miami News, the Freedom Tower is an example of Mediterranean Revival style with design elements borrowed from theGiralda Tower in Seville, Spain. Its cupola on a 255 foot (78 m) tower contained a decorative beacon.
The Miami News vacated the building in 1957 to relocate to a new facility on the Miami River. As refugees from Cuba fleeing the Fidel Castro's communist regime arrived in Miami during the 1960s, the federal government used the facility to process, document and provide medical and dental services for the newcomers. After the major era of refugees ended in 1972, the government sold the building to private ownership in 1974. In 1979, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.