Speak to the Hand!
The Carnegie Library Building at Mount Vernon Square in Washington, DC (background).
In 1899, Andrew Carnegie committed funds to pay for the building of a DC central public library. Designed in the Beaux-Arts style, the building opened in 1903 and was one of the most expensive of all the Carnegie libraries.
The Carnegie Library continued to serve as the city’s central library until 1970 when the book collection moved to the Martin Luther King Library. The building is currently used by the DC Historical Society.