new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Nevada City, California | by www78
Back to photostream

Nevada City, California

Established in late 1849, this town, originally called Deer Creek Dry Diggins, and then Caldwell's Upper Store quickly established itself at the Northern end of the California Gold Country. Renamed Nevada, Spanish for "snow-covered" for some culture in 1850, the city had by 1856 reached a population of 2000, the third largest city in the state, and one of the wealthiest. Unlike many other Gold Rush towns, the early settlers kept the area relatively peaceful. While placer gold soon ran out, hydraulic mining and hardrock mining kept the area profitable and Nevada kept expanding, eventually reaching a population of some 10,000 in 1860. Among the notable of Nevada City are Lester Pelton, inventor of the Pelton Water Wheel, and George Hearst, who would later strike it rich at the Comstock Lode and father famed newspaper editor William Hearst.

 

In the foreground is the impressive Nevada City Firehouse No. 2 (1861), the first firehouse built in the city after two devastating fires in 1853 and 1856. While its rival firefighting brigade organized a day earlier (and hence became Firehouse No. 1), Firehouse No. 2 had more private funding and completed construction earlier.

Nevada City, California

338 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on November 22, 2015