Hatch Manufacturing Company Employees Loading Horse Collars for Shipping (also known as the Buckle Factory), 1912
Can you identify the unidentified men in the photograph?
A black and white photograph showing three men loading cloth sacks filled with horse collars from a horse drawn wagon onto a train. The men pictured from left to right are: George Bravener, unidentified man and (unknown first name) Forrester.
The buckle factory was one of three main industries in Whitby during the early 20th century. Whitby’s main industries at this time were a buckle factory; blanket factory and tannery. The Buckle Factory, as it was locally known, was in operation from 1888 to 1964.
Located at 300 Brock Street South, the blanket factory was just north of Mary Street. The buckle factory manufactured saddle hardware in Whitby, especially brass buckles for horse harnesses.
The buckle factory was started in 1887 when Samuel Trees Senior and George V. Martin purchased O’Donovan Carriage Works. New buildings were constructed on the site and the old buildings used by O’Donovan Carriage Works were used to start “Martin Manufacturing Company”. Martin Manufacturing Company was run from 1888 to 1904. In 1904 the company was bought and run by Fred Hatch as “Hatch Manufacturing Company” until his death in 1929. In 1929, the company was purchased by Samuel Trees Junior and renamed “Whitby Malleable Iron and Brass Company”. It was operated as “Whitby Malleable Iron and Brass Company” until 1964 and in 1966 the buildings were demolished.
Train panel reads "GRAND TRUNK PACIFIC/302756".
Date of Original:
Horse drawn wagon
Canada - Ontario - Ontario - Whitby
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
Scanned from copy negative dated 1971.
Whitby Public Library
405 Dundas Street West, Whitby, Ontario, L1N 6A1
For more images like this visit us at images.ourontario.ca/whitby/