Carter Campaign Headquarters
As the sign reads:
President Jimmy Carter
From this depot in 1975, James Earl Carter, Jr. launched a two-year campaign for the presidency of the United States. At first an unknown referred to as "Jimmy Who." Carter was inaugurated as America's 39th President on January 20, 1977.
James Earl Carter, Jr. was born October 1, 1924, in Plains. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and married Rosalynn Smith in 1946. After seven more years of naval service he returned to run a family agribusiness. In 1962, Jimmy Carter was elected to the Georgia Senate and in 1970, became Governor. As governor, he reorganized state government, reformed the budgetary process, improved race relationships, health care, education, and environmental quality. Notable achievements of his presidency (1977-1981) were based on the values he considered most important "...human rights, environmental quality, nuclear arms control, and the search for justice and peace." Successes included the resolution of the Panama Canal issue, signing the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty, the Camp David accords and peace treaty between Israel and Egypt, normalizing relations with China and reorganization of the federal government. This Depot and surrounding historic district symbolize the culture the culture of this small rural community which produced a highly respected international leader.