Established in 1847 and located on the Historic Old National Road (US 40) in Cambridge City, Indiana.
The building sets at the former intersection of the National Road (U.S. 40) and the Whitewater Canal. The canal's turnaround basin lapped just a few feet from its rear door, bringing passengers and goods from Cincinnati. It's location was so central that at various times, it served as a stage coach stop, a telegraph office, a mail office and even a recruiting post during the Civil War.
The 36 room Vinton House Hotel provided lodging for guests that were being transported on the Whitewater Canal. It included a ballroom, fine dining rooms and a basement pub.
It derives its name from Elbridge Vinton, the proprietor.