Gatehouse, Riverside Cemetery, Brooklyn Centre, Cleveland, OH
This is the Gatehouse of Riverside Cemetery, located on Pearl Road in Cleveland’s Brooklyn Centre neighborhood. Constructed in 1897, the gatehouse was designed in the Gothic Revival and Romanesque Revival styles by Charles W. Hopkinson, and replaced an earlier administration building on the site that was constructed of wood when the Cemetery opened in 1876. Red brownstone was used for the building, which contrasts nicely with the sandstone chapel, and the roof was made of red terra cotta Spanish-style tiles, which match the color of the walls, giving the building a distinctive color and appearance. Constructed as the cemetery’s administration building, the structure contained offices, restrooms, two meeting rooms, and a reception room, all clad in materials like mosaic tile, oak paneling, and enameled brick. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, along with the nearby Chapel, the building underwent a significant renovation in the 1990s, modifying the interior significantly, but keeping several features intact. Today, the building is the most visible historic structure in the Cemetery, as it sits just inside the front entrance to the site, and is one of the most distinctive buildings on the city’s West Side.