Atlanta - Poncey-Highland: Jimmy Carter Library and Museum
The Jimmy Carter Library and Museum, located on the site where Union General William T. Sherman orchestrated the Battle of Atlanta in 1864 at 441 Freedom Parkway, was opened to the public on October 1, 1986. James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. served as the 39th President of the United States from 1977 to 1981 following two terms as a Georgia State Senator, representing the 14th district, and one as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975. The museum and library, run by the National Archives and Records Administration as part of the Presidential Library system, are housed in a 69,750 square feet building with 15,269 square feet of space for exhibits and 19,818 square feet of archive and storage space. The library stacks house 27 million pages of documents; 500,000 photos, and 40,000 objects, along with films, videos, and audiotapes covering cover all areas of the Carter administration, from foreign and domestic policy to the personal lives of President and Mrs. Carter. Privately owned areas of the complex ouse Carter's offices and the offices of the Carter Center, a non-profit human rights agency.