Atlanta - Georgia Tech: Tech Tower
The Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans Administration Building, commonly known as Tech Tower, located at 225 225 North Avenue NW, was erected in 1888 as the Academic Building. The red-brick Victorian and Romanesque Revival style building, designed by Bruce & Morgan, was the second completed on campus, and is the oldest surviving building.
This structure once housed Tech's Library, President's Office, Classrooms, and other academic facilities. It was remodeled in 1963-64 on the Interior with major alterations. Lighted signs spelling TECH hang on each of the four sides of the seven-story central tower, dominating the building's facade and visible from many parts of the Georgia Tech campus and surrounding area.
The Georgia Institute of Technology, commonly referred to as Georgia Tech, a public university in the University System of Georgia, was founded in 1885 as the Georgia School of Technology. Originally founded as part of Reconstruction plans to build an industrial economy in the south, it only offered a degree in mechanical engineering. By the turn of the century it had expanded to other engineering degrees and changed its name to reflect its expanded scope. Today, Georgia Tech is organized into six college, but while it still places an emphasis on science and technology, it also offers programs in liberal arts.
Georgia Institute Of Technology Historic District National Register #78000983 (1978)