Charleston - Mazyck-Wraggborough: Marion Square - Calhoun Monument
The Calhoun Monument, also known as the Shaft to John C. Calhoun, designed by sculptor John Massey Rhind and the architectural firm of Renwick, Aspinwall & Renwick, was installed in Marion Square on June 27, 1896. Retaining the 36-foot square granite base from an earlier 1887 monument to Calhoun created by Albert E. Harnisch, Rhind added 65-foot tall granite column which he topped with a granite base and 15-foot tall bronze figure. The cornerstone of the original monument, laid in 1858 before construction was halted by the Civil War, contained a cannon ball used in the Revolutionary War battle of Fort Moultrie , a banner used in Calhoun's funeral, $100 in Continental money, a lock of Calhoun's hair, and the last speech he delivered in the U.S. Senate, on March 4, 1850.
Marion Square, spanning a ten acre site bound by Tobacco, Meeting, Calhoun, and King Streets, was established as a parade ground for the South Carolina State Arsenal under construction on the north side of the square. Formerly known as the Citadel Green, it was renamed in honor of General Francis Marion, a Revolutionary War hero, when the Citadel left the Arsenal in 1922 to move to Charleston's west side.