flickr-free-ic3d pan white

Buenos Aires - San Nicolás: Plaza de la República

Plaza de la República (Republic Square), located at the intersection of the city's city's three main arteries--Avenida 9 de julio, Avenida Corrientes, and Avenida Presidente Roque Sáenz Peña or Diagonal Norte, was once the site of Iglesia de San Nicolás, where the Argentine flag was first displayed on August 23, 1812, shortly after independence from Spain. This church was demolished to make way for El Obelisco de Buenos Aires, but an inscription on the north side of the obelisk honors its noble sacrifice. Originally a circular paved esplanade, Plaza de la República was enlarged to its current dimensions in 1962 and its present layout was established in 1971, when Avenida Corrientes Avenue was rerouted through it around the obelisk to ease car traffic into the city's financial district.

766 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on July 21, 2012