Buenos Aires - Recoleta: Café La Biela
Café La Biela, at Avenida Quintana 600, first opened in 1850 as La Viridita, a small sidewalk café and grocery. Its Spanish owner later changed the name to Aero Bar, because of its popularity with members of the nearby Argentine Civil Pilots. The café acquired its present name, derived from the Spanish word for an engine's connecting rod, when it became the rendezvous choice of race-car champions, including including the five times Formula One world champion Juan Manuel Fangio, and early car-owning pioneers.
La Biela has a large umbrellaed terrace sitting beneath an enormous 19th-century rubber tree, that makes it one of the city's best spots for people watching. The wood paneled interior is dotted with black-and-white photos of racing car champions and a variety of motoring memorabilia (including radiator grills, connecting rods, lamps and horns).