The Algonquin Hotel, located at 59 West 44th Street, first opened in 1902. Originally designed as an residential hotel by architect Goldwin Starrett, it was quickly converted and renamed by Frank Case, who owned and managed the property until his death in 1946. It has since changed hands a few times and is currently affiliated with Marriot International where it is part of Marriott’s Autograph Collection brand.
In June 1919, the Algonquin Hotel's dining room became the site of the daily meetings of the Algonquin Round Table, a celebrated group ofgroup of New York City writers, critics, actors and wits who gathered daily until roughly 1929.
A tradition since the 1930s, the Algonquin has always kept a cat who gets run of the hotel--males take on the name Hamlet, females take on the name Matilda.
The Algonquin Hotel was designated a National Literary Landmark by the Friends of Libraries USA in 1996.
The Algonquin Hotel was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1987.