Miami Beach - South Beach: Old City Hall Miami Beach
Old City Hall Miami Beach, located at 1130 Washington Avenue, was built in 1927 to the Mediterranean Revival design of Martin Luther Hampton. A symbol of the city's resurrection after the disastrous Hurricane of 1926, the 9-story city hall tower included a firestation in the north wing. Disused when City Hall moved to City Center in 1975, it regained civic importance as an element of the Miami Beach Police and Court Facility complex, serving as the home of the Miami Beach branch of the county court system.
The Miami Beach Architectural District, also known as Old Miami Beach Historic District, or the more common, Miami Beach Art Deco District, is roughly bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, Alton Road and Collins Canal/Dade Boulevard and 5th Street. With 960 vibrantly colored historic buildings, it contains the largest concentration of 1920s and 1930s resort architecture in the United States.
Miami Beach Architectural District #79000667 (1979)