NYC - William H. and Ada S. Moore house
The William H. and Ada S. Moore House, at 4 East 54th Street, was designed from 1898-1900 by McKim, Mead and White. This marblefronted house was commissioned by William Earl Dodge Stokes, a member of the Phelps-Doge family and builder of the Ansonia Hotel, for himself, his son and his wife, Rita Hernandez de Alba de Costa. Stokes married her in 1895 when she was 19, after falling in love with her picture in a Fifth Avenue photographer's window. Four months before its completion, though, Stokes sold the house to Ada S. Moore. Moore and her husband, the Chicago lawyer and corporate titan William H. Moore, a founder of U.S. Steel who had nearly gone bankrupt in 1896 during speculation on Diamond Match Company stock, moved into the Italian Renaissance-inspired townhouse.
After William Moorse's death in 1923 and Ada Moore's in 1955, the house had a succession of philanthropic and commerical tenants. In 1993, Banco di Napoli bought the building.
The William H. and Ada S. Moore House was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1967.