new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
PA - Harrisburg: Capitol Complex - State Archives Building | by wallyg
Back to photostream

PA - Harrisburg: Capitol Complex - State Archives Building

The Pennsylvania State Archives Building, at 350 North Street, was built in 1964 by the architectural firm, Lawrie and Green. The 20-floor modernist high-rise, along with the neighboring State Museum of Pennsylvania, is the state's principal depository of records and historical artifacts. The architectural design of the paired buildings was inspired by the symbols of the 1939 New York World's Fair, the Trylon and Perisphere.

 

Established in 1903, the Pennsylvania State Archives was originally a division of the Pennsylvania State Library which was housed in the Old Executive Office Building. They remained there until 1931 when they moved to the Forum Building. The archives are home to more than 195 million pages of documents and manuscripts, 20,000 reels of microfilm, and over one million special collection items such as photographs, maps and motion.

 

The Pennsylvania Capitol Grounds, officially the Capitol Park, bounded by North Street on the north, 7th Street on the east, Walnut Street on the south and 3rd Street on the west, comprises 45 acres. Arnold Brunner designed the layout of the grounds, which originally totaled only 15 acres from the land Harris and Maclay gave to the state. The remaining 29 acres were added when the state bought the Eighth Ward.

1,918 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on August 27, 2011