This statue of Johann Sebastian Bach, located in front of Carnegie Music Hall was designed by John Massey Rhind in 1907. It is part of a grouping of sculptures created for the Carnegie Institute and Library Complex, including a set of four allegorical figures, representing the four disciplines housed by the Institute, on the roof and the earthly embodiments of those disciplines, located located at each of the two main entrances-- representing the Art (Michelangelo), Literature (Shakespeare), Music (Bach) and Science (Galilelo). The statues were cast in lost wax in Italy and assembled and finished by Rhind in New York.
The Carnegie Music Hall was built in 1895 as part of the Carnegie Institute and Library Complex by Longfellow, Alden & Harlow.
The Carnegie Institute and Library Complex was designated a landmark by the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation in 1970.
National Register #79002158 (1979)