Tokyo - Shiba Park: Zōjō-ji
San'en-zan Zōjō-ji (三縁山増上寺), or Zojoji Temple, was founded in 1393 by Yūyo Shōsō as the main temple of the Buddhist Jodo sect in the Kantō area, and moved, first to Hibaya and then to its present location in 1598. After Tokugawa Ieysasu move to Edo in 1590, Zozoji became the Tokugawa family temple.
In its heyday, the its precincts covered an area of 826,000 square meters which also contained 48 smaller attached temples and about 150 grammar schools. However, as the Tokugawa shogunate came to an end and the Meiji era began, an anti-Buddhist movement got under way, and the cathedral, temples and the mausoleum of the Tokugawa family were burned down by air raids during World War II.