NYC - Queens - Astoria: Museum of the Moving Image - Zenith Model H-24-37-E
The Zenith Model H-24-37-E, produced circa 1950, with its "giant circle screen", used the entire surface of the tube, allowing Zenith to claim more square inches of viewing area than competing manufacturers. Unfortunately, this process also resulted in the loss of all four corners of the transmitted picture. Conventional cathode ray picture tubes have round faces, but the broadcast image is rectangular. Because of this, what you see on such a television screen makes use of only part of the picture's tube area.
Behind the Screen, the core exhibition occupying 15,000 square feet of the Museum of Moving image's second and third floors, traces the history of the moving image, from 19th-century optical toys to the present-day impadct of digital tools. The exhibition incorporates approximately 1,400 artifacts from the Museum's collection of the material culture of moving image.
The Museum of the Moving Image, located at 36-01 35 Avenue in Astoria, promotes the public understanding and appreciation of the art, history, technique and technology of film, television, and digital media by collecting, preserving, and providing access to moving-image related artifacts via multimedia exhibitions and educational programming. Originally established in 1977 as the Astoria Motion Picture and Television Center Foundation, opened on September 10, 1988, in the former East Coast home as Paramount Pictures as the first museum in the United States that was evoted solely to the art, history and technology of film, television and video. Following a $67 million expansion by architect Thomas Lesser, starting in March 2008, the museum doubled its size and reopened in January 2011.