NYC - Financial District - Federal Hall - Washington at prayer bas-relief
James Edward Kelly's bronze bas-relief of Washington in Prayer at Valley Forge, 17777 is on the right of the United States Sub-Treasury Building, also known as Federal Hall.
Federal Hall, located at 26 Wall Street, was built in 1842 to the classical design of John Frazee as the country's first Custom House. It replaced an original structure that was built in 1700 as New York's second City Hall and later the first capitol building of the United States.
In 1735, John Peter Zenger, an American newspaper publisher, was imprisoned, tried, and eventually acquitted of libel against the British Royal Governor. Acquitted on the ground that the material printed was true, the Zenger Trial helped establish the freedom of the press later defined in the Bill of Rights.
In 1765, delegates from nine of the 13 colonies met here as the Stamp Act Congress in response to the levying of the Stamp Act by the Parliament of Great Britain, resulting in a message to King George III protesting "taxation without representation." Following the American Revolution, the Continental Congress met here in 1787, adopting the Northwest Ordinance which established procedures for creating new states.
After the Constitution was ratified, the build was remodeled, as the first example of Federal Style architecture in America, and enlarged under the direction of Pierre Charles L'Enfant to serve as the first Capitol of the United States. The First United States Congress would meet here, establishing the new federal government, electing George Washington as the first President—he would be inaugurated on its steps on April 30, 1789, and writing and ratifying the Bill of Rights.
The building was designated as Federal Hall Memorial National Historic Site on May 26, 1939, and redesignated a national memorial on August 11, 1955.
Federal Hall National Monument was designated a landmark by the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1967. Its interior was designated separately in 1975.
National Register #66000095