new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
NYC - Ladies Mile: Warren Building | by wallyg
Back to photostream

NYC - Ladies Mile: Warren Building

The 1891 7-story Warren Building, a froth of "Renaissance-style baubles", was designed by Stanford White of McKim, Mead and White for George Henry Warren, a prominent corporate lawyer. The ground floor show-window is screen of polished stone columns, topped by a white marble second floor. The third through seventh floor were amber brick, with terra cotta modeled around the windows with white iron fourth floor balconies. Around 1910, the ground-floor colonnade was cut back, with the iron balconies lost to "progress."

 

One early Warren Building tenant was Charles Seale, a jeweler who was reported by The Brooklyn Daily Eagle to be in possession of "the Orange," a 115-carat diamond found in South Africa in 1884. Another was "Doctor" James M. Munyon, whose home-remedy company placed ads masquerading as news articles in The Eagle (and The New York Times) praising its indigestion tablets (offered in blood orange, sassafras, wild cherry and kola flavors), its inhalers and its electrical machines to cure rheumatism, dyspepsia, kidney disease and other maladies. Research by the medical historian William H. Helfand indicates that Munyon was convicted in 1910 for violations of the Pure Food and Drug Act.

 

The Ladies Mile Historic District, an irregular district defined roughly from 18th Street to 24th Street and Park Avenue South to Avenue of the Americas, preserves 440 buildings on 28 blocks. Between the Civil War and World War I, the district was the location of some of New York's most famous department stores, including Lord & Taylor, B. Altman, W. & J. Sloane, Arnold Constable, Best & Co., and Bergdorf Goodman. Also included is Daniel H. Burnham's Flatiron Building, at Fifth Avenue and 23rd Street; most of the Ladies' Mile Historic District lies within the Manhattan neighborhood named after that building, the Flatiron District.

 

The Ladies Mile Historic District was designated a historic district by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1989.

 

5,706 views
3 faves
0 comments
Taken on June 1, 2007