NYC - UES: Knickerbocker Club
The Knickerbocker Club, designed by William Adams Delano of Delano & Aldrich at 2 East 62nd Street, was completed in 1913 and opened on June 21, 1915. This understated Neo-Georgain red brick building housed the prestigious private male-only social club, founded on the evening of October 31, 1871 as a reaction to the laxed admissions standards at other clubs by 18 members of the Union Club of the City of New York. Early meetings were held at Delmonico's in White Tie until the first clubhouse opened on February 2, 1872, a few blocks from Delmonico's and Union Square.
Notable members included Franklin Delano Roosevelt, John Jacob Astor, August Belmont, Alexander Hamilton Jr. (first president), Eleanor Roosevelt's father Elliott Roosevelt, David Rockefeller, and Henry White.
The Knickerbocker Club was desiganted a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1979.