NYC - Metropolitan Museum of Art - Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Roof Garden - Frank Stella on the Roof - Chapel of the Holy Ghost (Model)
From May 1, 2007 to October 28, 2007, the exhibit, Frank Stella on the Roof was on display in the the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Roof Garden--an installation of recent works in stainless steel and carbon fiber by the prolific American artist Frank Stella. Since his first showings in New York in the late 1950s, Stella has occupied a prominent place among leading artists and has continued to expand the boundaries of what abstract painting and sculpture can be. Stella's fame was cemented by early retrospectives at the Museum of Modern Art. This exhibition, in tandem with Frank Stella: Painting into Architecture, marks the artist's first solo presentation at the Metropolitan.
Chinese Pavilion (2007, still in progress here, model here), a carbon epoxy composite, is the centerpiece of the exhibit and has never before been exhibited. The structure of the piece explores the sort of leaf formation that has been one of the artist's chief architectural themes. There are other sculptures there, including two more oversized pieces -- "adjoeman", which means "showing off" or "decorative" in Balinese) and "memantra" (which means the "verbal form of mantra, a prayer or incantation") -- both made of some of the same stuff used to build stealth bombers, stainless steel and carbon fiber.
The Metropolitan Museum's Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Roof Garden opened to the public in 1987. Annual installations have featured selections of modern sculpture from the Museum's collection and, most recently, presentations of works by individual artists. Frank Stella on the Roof will mark the tenth annual single-artist installation on the Roof Garden.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art's permanent collection contains more than two million works of art from around the world. It opened its doors on February 20, 1872, housed in a building located at 681 Fifth Avenue in New York City. Under their guidance of John Taylor Johnston and George Palmer Putnam, the Met's holdings, initially consisting of a Roman stone sarcophagus and 174 mostly European paintings, quickly outgrew the available space. In 1873, occasioned by the Met's purchase of the Cesnola Collection of Cypriot antiquities, the museum decamped from Fifth Avenue and took up residence at the Douglas Mansion on West 14th Street. However, these new accommodations were temporary; after negotiations with the city of New York, the Met acquired land on the east side of Central Park, where it built its permanent home, a red-brick Gothic Revival stone "mausoleum" designed by American architects Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mold. As of 2006, the Met measures almost a quarter mile long and occupies more than two million square feet, more than 20 times the size of the original 1880 building.
In 2007, the Metropolitan Museum of Art was ranked #17 on the AIA 150 America's Favorite Architecture list.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1967. The interior was designated in 1977.
National Historic Register #86003556