NYC - Metropolitan Museum of Art - Bust of empress Sabina
Marble portrait bust of the Empress Sabina
Roman, Hadrianic period, ca. A.D. 122-128
The incrustation that covers much of this bust of Sabina, wife of the emperor Hadrian and grand-niece of the emperor Trajan, cannot conceal the extraordinary quality and almost perfect preservation of the portrait. Together with its pendant, displayed to the right, it must have been produced in the imperial workshops of Rome, possibly for the court itself. The carefully detailed hair arrangement is like that on a portrait of the empress found at Vaison in the south of France, which must have been carved soon after Hadrian's trip to Gaul in A.D. 121.
Lent by the Dubroff Family (L.1995.6.1)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art's permanent collection contains more than two million works of art from around the world. It opened its doors on February 20, 1872, housed in a building located at 681 Fifth Avenue in New York City. Under their guidance of John Taylor Johnston and George Palmer Putnam, the Met's holdings, initially consisting of a Roman stone sarcophagus and 174 mostly European paintings, quickly outgrew the available space. In 1873, occasioned by the Met's purchase of the Cesnola Collection of Cypriot antiquities, the museum decamped from Fifth Avenue and took up residence at the Douglas Mansion on West 14th Street. However, these new accommodations were temporary; after negotiations with the city of New York, the Met acquired land on the east side of Central Park, where it built its permanent home, a red-brick Gothic Revival stone "mausoleum" designed by American architects Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mold. As of 2006, the Met measures almost a quarter mile long and occupies more than two million square feet, more than 20 times the size of the original 1880 building.
In 2007, the Metropolitan Museum of Art was ranked #17 on the AIA 150 America's Favorite Architecture list.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1967. The interior was designated in 1977.
National Historic Register #86003556