Baltimore: Holocaust Memorial - The Flame
The Baltimore Holocaust Memorial, located at the intersection of Lombard and Gay Streets, was dedicated on October 6, 1997. Designed by Lynn Katzen and architect Jonathan Fishman, it replaced Arthur D. Valk's earlier Holocaust Memorial on the same site, built in 1980, which had become a haven for illicit activity. The two concrete monoliths that remain from the original memorial, as does Joseph Sheppard's sculpture, The Flame.
The Flame, founded by Fonderia Massimo Del Chiaro, was executed in 1987 and dedicated on November 6, 1988. Commissioned by Jack and Jean Luskin and Melvin and Jeanne Berger, it criticized for its explicit and graphic details, for being commissioned outside normal channels, and because it was an add on to the existing Valk work. The 11-foot tall bronze sculptural group depicts a group of emaciated concentration camp inmates huddled together being consumed by a fire. It stands on a 6-foot by 6-foot cylindric black granite base.
The following inscription appears around the top of the base:
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemed to repeat it." - George San Tayana, 1863-1952