NYC - FiDi: St. Peter's Church
St. Peter's Church is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in New York State, dating to 1785. The cornerstone of the present Greek Revival granite building, the second on the site purchased from Trinity Parish, with six Ionic columns was laid in 1836, as designed by John R. Haggerty and Thomas Thomas.
The Roman Catholic Church was not permitted to function in New York during the Dutch and British colonial periods, except for the administration of Governor Thomas Dongan, who was himself Catholic. St. Peter's Church. The British evacuation following the American Revolution changed this, paving the way for St. Peter's.
St. Peter's Parish opened the first Catholic school in the state of New York in 1800. Elizabeth Ann Seton was received into the Roman Catholic Church at St. Peter's in 1805. St. Peter's was the first church in the archdiocese to offer midday services, and by the 1940s St. Peter's was becoming more of a service church as the financial district gave way to stores and tall office buildings, with thousands entering the area each day for work.
Located just north of the World Trade Center, the church served as a staging area for emergency responders. The body of the Rev. Mychal Judge, Chaplain to the New York City Fire Department and officially the first casualty of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack, was brought to St. Peter's by firefighters and laid before the altar.
St. Peter's was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1965.
National Register #80002721 (1980)