Denver - Civic Center: Denver Central Library
The Denver Central Library, at 10 West 14th Avenue Parkway, was originally built in 1956 by the firm of Fisher and Fisher/Burnham Hoyt, and expanded in 1995 with a 540,000-square foot structure designed by architect Michael Graves and the Denver firm of Klipp Colussy Jenks DuBois. The Central Library is the largest library between Los Angeles and Chicago, and attracts over one million visitors annually.
The Denver Public Library was first established in June 1889 by by City Librarian John Cotton Dana in a wing of Denver High School. In 1910 the library built its first building--the Central Library, a Greek revival design funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Today the Library has 22 additional branches and a bookmobile program, serving a library card base in excess of 400,000 local residents with a coolection exceeding 2.5 million items.