Denver - Civic Center: Colorado State Capitol
The Colorado State Capitol Building, at 200 East Colfax Avenue, first opened for use in 1894. Designed by architect Elijah E. Myers, the four-story cruciform building, with four similar elevations, is constructed of Colorado gray granite from Gunnison County. The 24-carat golf-leaf covered dome, which rises 150-feet high commemorating the Colorado Gold Rush, was added in 1908.
The interior uses copious amounts of Colorado Rose Onyx, a rare rose marble from a quarry near Beulah, Colorado. White Yule Marble from the quarries near Marble, Colorado was also used for the floors. Important interior spaces include the rotunda with its murals by local artist Allen Tupper True, the House and Senate chambers, and the old Supreme Court chamber. Many of the windows are stained glass, depicting people or events related to the history of Colorado. The halls are decorated with portraits of every president of the United States.
The official elevation of Denver is measured outside the west entrance to the building, where the fifteenth step is engraved with the words "One Mile Above Sea Level." A second mile high marker was set in the 18th step in 1869 when Colorado State University students resurveyed the elevation. In 2003, a more accurate measurement was made with modern means, and the 13th step was identified as being one mile high, where a 3rd marker was installed.