Cambridge - Harvard Square: Memorial Church of Harvard University
The Memorial Church of Harvard, more commonly known as the Harvard Memorial Church or simply Mem Church, at 23 Harvard Yard, was dedicated on Armistice Day, November 11, 1932, in memory of the men and women of Harvard University who died in World War I. The names of 373 alumni were engraved within alongside a sculpture named The Sacrifice by Malvina Hoffman. Since then, other memorials have been established within the building commemorating those Harvardians who later died in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Memorial Church, designed by Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch & Abbott, was built on the site of the campus' previous building of worship, Appleton Chapel, which was built in 1858 and torn down after the 1931 Commencement. Its namesake is preserved inside Memorial Church, as the Appleton Chapel portion of the main building houses the daily service of Morning Prayer.
Harvard University (officially The President and Fellows of Harvard College), a private Ivy League university, was established in 1636 by the colonial Massachusetts legislature. Harvard is the first corporation chartered in the United States and oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. The university currently comprises ten separate academic units and has the largest financial endowment of any school in the world.
Harvard Yard, a twenty-five acre grassy area, constitutes the oldest part and the center of the campus of Harvard University. Geographically Harvard Yard is bordered to the west by Massachusetts Avenue and Peabody Street, the north by Cambridge Street, the northeast by Broadway, the east by Quincy Street, and the south by Harvard Street and Massachusetts Avenue. It contains thirteen of Harvard College's seventeen freshman dormitories, as well as four libraries, five buildings of classrooms and academic departments, and the central administrative offices of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the university. The western third of Harvard Yard, which opens onto Massachusetts Avenue at Johnston Gate, is known as the Old Yard.
Harvard Yard National Register #73000287 (1973)