NYC - Bronx - Bronx Zoo: Monkey House
The Monkey House, formerly known as the Primate House, was just one of six heavily ornamented beaux-arts style structures conceived by William Hornaday and built by Heins & Lafarge for the opening of the Bronx Zoo in 1899. The others were the Aquatic Bird House (1899), the Reptile House (1900), the Lion House (1903), the Large Bird House (1905), and the Elephant House (1908).
The Primate House, opened in 1901, adorned by decorative friezes by Alexander Phimister Proctor, whose work can be found throughout the Zoo. It closed in 1950, after the opening of the Great Apes House, only to reopen in 1959.
The Bronx Zoo, located within the Bronx Park, is the largest metropolitan zoo in the United States, comprising 265 acres of parklands and naturalistic habitats and home to over 4,000 animals. Focused on conservation, it opened on November 8, 1899, with 22 exhibits, 843 animals. The zoo's origins date back to 1895, with the establishment of the New york Zoological Society (NYZS), renamed Wild Conservation Scoiety (WCS) in 1993. Only the outer structure of the World of Reptiles remains much as it was in 1899. With the 1941 opening of African Plains, the Bronx Zoo was one of the first U.S. zoos to move away from cages and exhibit animals in naturalistic habitats.
George Lewis Heins & Christopher Grant Lafarge formed their partnership in 1886. In 1899, Heins was appointed New York State architect by Governor Theodore Roosevelt and he designed state buildings until his death in 1907. Their other work around New York includes Enoch Grand Lodge, Judson Memorial Church, Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine and the Bowling Green IRT Control House.