New Orleans - CBD: Gallier Hall
Gallier Hall, at 545 St. Charles Avenue, was dedicated on May 10, 1853. Erected between 1845 and 1853, it was originally built as the headquarters of the Second Municipality when the city was briefly served by three separate governments. Shortly after its official dedication, it became New Orleans City Hall, a role it played for over a century, through Reconstruction and the Huey Long eras. Today is serves as a convention center, reception hall, and the home of The Ty Tracy Theatre, named for the late Artistic Director who ran the New Orleans Recreational Department Theatre.
Designed in the Greek Revival style by James Gallier Sr., Gallier Hall is a 90-foot wide by 215-foot deep, three story Tuckahoe marble structure fronted by two impressive rows of six fluted Ionic columns, supporting the tympanum on the facade, which is decorated with bas-reliefs of Jutice and Commerce by Robert A. Launitz.