NYC - Union Square Savings Bank

    Newer Older

    Henry Bacon's white granite Union Square Savings Bank, erected 1905-07, with its Corinthian temple facade, echoes the academic classicism he made more famous with the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC.

    The Institution for the Savings of Merchant's Clerks, established in 1848, was renamed the Union Square Savings Bank in 1904 and remained an independent institution until 1968, when it merged with another bank. The building is now used as a theater.

    The Union Square Savings Bank was designated a landmark by the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1996.

    keyboard shortcuts: previous photo next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts