San Francisco - Nob Hill: Grace Cathedral
Grace Cathedral, at 1100 California Street, was designed in French Gothic style by Lewis Parsons Hobart in 1964. The cathedral church of the Episcopal Diocese of California is descendant from the historic Grace Church, built in 1948 during the Gold Rush, and the imposing structure on the corner of California and Stockton that was destroyed in the fire following the 1906 earthquake. Construction began on the cathedral, which would take the name of the old church, on a ruined block donated by the San Francisco's Crocker family in 1928, but Depression halted work in 1933 with a half-finished nave. Construction briefly resumed and the Signing (North) Tower, was largely finished by 1941. The end of World War II brought about a renewed interest in completing Grace Cathedral and construction resumed under architects Weihe, Frick & Krause, in time for a November 20, 1964 consecration--36 years after groundbreaking.
Today the cathedral has become a pilgrimage center, famed for its replica of Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise, two labyrinths, varied stained glass windows, Keith Haring's AIDS Chapel altarpiece, and medieval and contemporary furnishings, as well as its 44 bell carillon, three organs, and choirs.
San Francisco Landmark No. 170 (8/5/1984)