San Francisco: Union Square from St. Francis Hotel
A view from the exterior glass elevators of the Westin St. Francis Hotel Tower, a 1970 addition to the original St. Francis Hotel, which was built at 335 Powell Street by the Trustees of the estate of Charles Crocker, one of "The Big Four" railroad magnates, as an investment for Crocker's two young children, Templeton Crocker and Jenny Crocker. It was originally meant to be called The Crocker Hotel, but instead it took the name of one of the earliest San Francisco Gold Rush hotels, the St. Francis. Designed by Bliss and Faville, the hotel opened on March 21, 1904.
The Dewey Monument, always known as the American Navy Monument or Naval Monument, located in Union Square, was built dedicated by President Roosevelt on May 23, 1901. Designed by sculptor Robert Aitken and architects Newton Tharp and Timothy Pflueger, the monument was installed to commemorate Commodore Dewey's victory over the Spanish fleet in the Phillippines. The monument features a 12-foot bronze full-length female figure of Victory atop an 83-foot granite column, ending in a squared base with multiple steps that may originally have been flanked by four bronze bears, symbol of California.