San Francisco - Civic Center: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
This Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, at 99 Grove Street, was built in 1914 by architects John Galen Howard, Frederick H. Meyer, and John Reid Jr. Originally named the San Francisco Auditorium, in October 1992, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted to rename it after rock promoter Bill Graham who had been killed a year earlier in a helicopter crash. The auditorium hosted the 1920 Democratic National Convention (DNC), was home to the San Francisco Opera from 1923 to 1932 and to the San Francisco Warriors of the National Basketball Assocation (NBA) from 1964 to 1967.
The Civic Center National Historic District, roughly bounded by Golden Gate Avenue, and 7th, Franklin, Hayes, and Market Streets, is one of the finest and most complete manifestations of the City Beautiful movement, a high minded progressive reform movement in architecture and urban planning that flourished at the start of the 20th century. It is also international importance as the scene of the founding of the United Nations and the drafting and signing of the post-World War II peace treaties with Japan.
Civic Center Historic District National Register #78000757 (1978)