San Francisco - Embarcadero: San Francisco Ferry Building
The San Francisco Ferry Building was built on the site of an earlier wooden ferry terminal at the head of Market Street along the Embarcadero in 1898. Designed by A. Page Brown who was killed in 1896, construction was overseen to completion by Edward Sain. The 660-foot long steel-framed building features a 245-foot-tall clock tower with four 22-foot diameter faces, modeled after La Giralda, the bell tower of Seville Cathedral, as a welcoming beacon on the Bay. Until the Bay Bridge opened in 1936, the Ferry Building was the Bay Area's main transportation hub. At its peak, thousands of passengers and 170 ferryboats passed through daily.
Nearly demolished in the 1950's, it was instead cast into further obscurity when the Embarcadero Freeway was built across its face. When damage rendered from 1989 earthquake provided the impetus for the freeway to be torn down in 1991, the ferry building was instead altered for use as the World Trade Center. A 2003 renovation restored the entrance pavilions and converted the passenger arcade into 65,000 square foot Marketplace along the central Nave. An additional 175,000 square feet of office space was created on the second and third floor.
National Register #78000760 (1978)