San Francisco - Mission District: Mission San Francisco de Asís Cemtery - Kateri Tekawitha
The statue of Kateri Tekawitha, a Mohwak maiden, in the center of the Mission Dolores Cemetery marks the spot near where numerous Native Americans are buried in a common grave. The number has been reported as 5,515 by Brother Ambrose. The statue bears the following inscription: "In prayerful memory of our faithful Indians".
The Mission San Francisco de Asís, or Mission Dolores, at 320 Dolores Street, is the oldest surviving structure in San Francisco, and the sixth religious settlement established as part of the California chain of missions. The Mission was founded as La Misión de Nuestro Padre San Francisco de Asís (The Mission of our Father Saint Francis de Assisi) on June 29, 1776 by Lieutenant José Joaquin Moraga and Father Francisco Palóu under the direction of Father Junípero Serra, both members of the de Anza Expedition, which had been charged with bringing Spanish settlers to Alta (upper) California, and evangelizing the local Indians, the Ohlone. Named for St. Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan Order, it was more commonly known as Mission Dolores, owing to the presence of a nearby creek named Arroyo de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores (Our Lady of Sorrows Creek).
National Register #72000251 (1972)