San Francisco: Lefty O'Doul Bridge
Lefty O'Doul Bridge, adjacent to the Lefty O'Doul Plaza at Third and Berry Streets, crosses Mission Creek connecting AT&T Park to its parking lots. The bridge, opened in 1933 as the Third Street Bridge, was designed by Joseph Strauss, one of the principal promoters of the Golden Gate Bridge. The bridge is a working drawbridge and at one time carried streetcar and train traffic in addition to automobiles and pedestrians. During a recent renovation, two lanes of the bridge were outfitted with a pedestrian-friendly surface to accommodate the thousands of baseball fans who walk over the bridge.
Both the bridge and plaza are named after Francis Joseph "Lefty" O'Doul, whose career as a pitcher, outfielder and manager spanned five decades. O'Doul spent parts of three seasons with the New York Giants and played for and managed the Pacific Coast League's San Francisco Seals. He was an instrumental figure in spreading baseball's popularity across Japan.
AT&T Park, located at 24 Willie Mays Plaza in San Francisco's South Beach, has been the home of San Francisco Giants since it was opened by China Basin Ballpark Corp on March 31, 2000. Originally named Pacific Bell Park, then renamed SBC Park in 2003, it was ultimately christened AT&T Park in 2006. Replacing Candlestick Park as the Giants' home, it was Major League Baseball's first privately financed ballpark since 1962.