Montréal - Golden Square Mile: Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal - Tête Totémique by Henry Moore
Grande Tête Totémique (Large Totem Head), executed by Henry Moore in 1968, sits on the western end of the staircase of the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal.
The Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal (Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, MMFA), at 1380 rue Sherbrooke Ouest, was founded in 1860, making it Canada's oldest art institution. The museum is partitioned into three pavilions: the 1912 Beaux Arts building designed by William Sutherland Maxwell, now named the Michal and Renata Hornstein Pavilion, focuses specifically on Québécois history; the modernist Jean-Noël Desmarais Pavilion across the street, designed by Moshe Safdie, built in 1991, houses works of art from around the world; and the Liliane and David M. Stewart Pavilion, focused on decorative arts. The museum is also converting the Erskine and American Church, built in 1894, into the Claire and Marc Bourgie Pavilion for Canadian Art, doubling its floor space for Canadian artists.