NYC - Greenwich Village: The Alva
Lockwood De Forest, a co-founder of the Associated Arts, a decorative arts atelier with Louis Comfort Tiffany and Candice Wheeler in 1879, who designed his house next door at 7 East 10th Street, sold this lot to architect William H. Russell in 1888. Russell decided to mimic DeForest's building with his use of teak decoration on the cornice and first-floor trim are in teak carved in a fashion.
In 1890 Russell sold the building to Christian Tietjen, a banker and lard manufacturer, who used it for rentals. The earliest tenants were people like John Beavor-Webb, yacht designer and intimate of J. P. Morgan, and Dr. Alexis Carrel, who won a Nobel prize in 1912 for his work in organ transplants and surgical techniques. As the Village became popular among artists, it attracted people like Helen Dryden, who was described in 1956 as the highest paid female artists in the country, and Dawn Powell. The ground-floor entryway and hall have since been renovated up with new woodwork and a paint job.