NYC - Greenwich Village: Lockwood De Forest House
This well-preserved building at 7 East 10th Street was originally designed n 1887 by Lockwood De Forest, a co-founder of the Associated Arts, a decorative arts atelier with Louis Comfort Tiffany and Candice Wheeler in 1879. Inspired by his wedding trip to India, De Forest decorated the facade with low relief teak carvings produced in a Ahmedabad factory, particularly around the building's main entry and the projecting oriel on the second floor. Widely admired for its decoration and furnishings, in 1900 a writer for House Beautiful called it the most beautiful Indian House in America. Purchased by New York University in the early 1990s, the building is currently occupied by the Edgar M. Bronfman Center for Jewish Student Life.